Can mental health issues cause physical symptoms?
So if you’re experiencing unexplained aches and pains, it might be linked to your mental health. According to Carla Manley, PhD, a clinical psychologist and author, people with mental illnesses can experience a range of physical symptoms, such as muscle tension, pain, headaches, insomnia, and feelings of restlessness.
Why is mental health as important as physical health?
Mental health and physical health are closely connected. Mental health plays a major role in people’s ability to maintain good physical health. Mental illnesses, such as depression and anxiety, affect people’s ability to participate in health-promoting behaviors.
Can stress cause physical symptoms?
Physical symptoms of stress include:
- Low energy.
- Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation, and nausea.
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles.
- Chest pain and rapid heartbeat.
- Frequent colds and infections.
- Loss of sexual desire and/or ability.
What causes poor mental health?
For example, the following factors could potentially result in a period of poor mental health: childhood abuse, trauma, or neglect. social isolation or loneliness. experiencing discrimination and stigma.
How do you balance physical and mental health?
- Value yourself: Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism.
- Take care of your body: Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health.
- Surround yourself with good people:
- Give yourself:
- Learn how to deal with stress:
- Quiet your mind:
- Set realistic goals:
- Break up the monotony:
What’s the difference between physical and mental health?
The main difference between physical and mental health is that our emotions, our ability to work and our relationships are the main things to be influenced by our mental health. When our mental health is positive we can cope with ups and downs. Our mood is stable and we feel optimistic.
How does anxiety affect physical health?
Anxiety disorders can cause rapid heart rate, palpitations, and chest pain. You may also be at an increased risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. If you already have heart disease, anxiety disorders may raise the risk of coronary events.
What are 5 emotional signs of stress?
What are psychological and emotional signs of stress?
- Depression or anxiety.
- Anger, irritability, or restlessness.
- Feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated, or unfocused.
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.
- Racing thoughts or constant worry.
- Problems with your memory or concentration.
- Making bad decisions.
How do I know if I’m stressed?
In fact, common signs of stress include sleeping problems, sweating, loss of appetite and difficulty concentrating. You may feel anxious, irritable or low in self esteem, and you may have racing thoughts, worry constantly or go over things in your head.
What are anxiety symptoms?
Signs and Symptoms
- Feeling restless, wound-up, or on-edge.
- Being easily fatigued.
- Having difficulty concentrating; mind going blank.
- Being irritable.
- Having muscle tension.
- Difficulty controlling feelings of worry.
- Having sleep problems, such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, restlessness, or unsatisfying sleep.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.
What are the signs of poor mental health?
Warning Signs of Mental Illness
- Sleep or appetite changes — Dramatic sleep and appetite changes or decline in personal care.
- Mood changes — Rapid or dramatic shifts in emotions or depressed feelings.
- Withdrawal — Recent social withdrawal and loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed.
Is overreacting a mental illness?
Overreacting is a symptom of bipolar disorder. 1 Hearing harsh words that would be painful to anyone, you may well respond with extreme anger or dark depression. Even a sad movie can make a person with bipolar disorder overreact.